Safe Travel For US Citizens: Register Your Plans

When traveling to a foreign country most people come home just fine, with fabulous memories of their visit. But in the case of an emergency, the US government can assist you, even if you’re overseas. Record information about your future trip abroad and the Department of State can help you if the need arises.

Millions of Americans travel to foreign lands every year. Most have a wonderful time without problems, but others have emergency situations that arise, which can put them in an awkward position while not on home territory. Crime, accidents or even illness can change your plans dramatically, and cause you financial and further travel problems.

Natural disasters, terrorism or even civil unrest are other events that could prevent a normal vacation from taking place. And, if you’ve left children behind with caretakers, they can reach you in a hurry, if you register with Travel Registration.

Among the things that US consular officers can assist Americans with are legal, medical or financial difficulties. Consuofficersices can’t act as your legal counsel but they can give you the names of local attorneys or doctors. They can also provide loans to destitute Americans or give them info on dangerous conditions concerning their foreign travel.

Less traumatic issues where the consulate can help include selective service registration, absentee voting, receiving federal benefits, or filing tax forms. They can notarize documents, issue passports, and register American children that were born overseas. Many embassies and consulates have web sites where you can receive more info.

Even if you do the Travel Registration, you’ll still be asked for identification and proof of citizenship, should you need assistance while abroad.

Even if you now live abroad you can still register. Simply register as a long-term traveler and you’ll receive the same benefits as others traveling for short periods of time. If you still have a US residence, list it as your personal address and your overseas address as your traveling address. If not, use your foreign address for both.

Even if you don’t register you can still get travel information from the Department of State. Travel warnings, public announcements, consular information sheets and more can be found online. You can also receive this type of information through email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *