Exercise normal precautions in The Gambia. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- The Gambia’s southern border area with the Casamance region of Senegal due to landmines.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to The Gambia:
- Do not stray from main roads and well-traveled areas in the Casamance region.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for The Gambia.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Southern Border with Senegal
Separatist groups have attacked travelers on roads south of The Gambia in the Casamance region of Senegal. Some landmines from the conflict remain in the border region.
Originally Published: December 10, 2018