Exercise normal precautions in Rwanda.
Reconsider Travel To:
- The Rwanda-Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border due to armed conflict.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Rwanda:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Rwanda.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Rwanda-Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border
The armed group Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda operates in eastern DRC near the border.
Congolese armed forces and UN peacekeepers continue combat operations against armed groups in North and South Kivu provinces. Violence sporadically targets civilians, including rape, kidnapping, and pillaging.
Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas
Originally Published: March 22, 2018