Paraguay – Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Advisory Issued January 22, 2019
Exercise normal precautions in Paraguay. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Amambay, Alto Paraná, Canindeyu, San Pedro, and Concepcion departments due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Paraguay:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Paraguay.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Departments of Amambay, Alto Paraná, Canindeyu, San Pedro, and Concepcion
Transnational criminal elements are active and engage in illicit trafficking of arms, narcotics, and goods in these departments, which are located along Paraguay’s northeastern border with Brazil. Police presence is limited.
U.S. government personnel must provide advance notice when traveling to these areas.
Originally Published: January 22, 2019
Guatemala Travel Advisory On January 22, 2019
Madagascar Travel Advisory On January 22, 2019
Kenya Travel Advisory On January 21, 2019
Nigeria Travel Advisory On January 21, 2019