Exercise normal precautions in Oman. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to:
- The Saudi Arabia and Yemen border areas due to terrorism and armed conflict.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Oman:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Oman.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Saudi Arabia and Yemen border areas
Terrorist attacks and violence are likely near the border with Yemen, and on the western portion of the border with Saudi Arabia. Crossing the Oman border into Yemen can be dangerous, and U.S. citizens who attempt to cross the Oman-Yemen border, from either Oman or Yemen, are routinely detained by Omani authorities.
Visit our website for High-Risk Travelers.
Originally Published: April 30, 2018