Exercise increased caution in Nepal due to the potential for isolated political violence.
Political demonstrations intended to be peaceful can sometimes escalate into violence, and may be met with force by Nepali authorities.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Nepal:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Do not trek alone.
- Be aware that infrastructure, government services, and medical assistance may not be up to U.S. standards.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Nepal.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Originally Published: January 8, 2019