Mozambique – Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Advisory Issued February 6, 2019
Exercise normal precautions in Mozambique. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Reconsider travel to:
- Some northern districts in Cabo Delgado Province due to violent extremism.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Maputo due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Mozambique:
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Consider hiring a professional security organization if traveling to the affected areas of Cabo Delgado.
- Be aware of increased government security checkpoints in Cabo Delgado Province.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Mozambique.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Some northern districts in Cabo Delgado Province – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
There have been attacks by violent extremists in the districts of Mocimboa da Praia, Nangade, Palma, Macomia, Ibo and Quissanga in the northern Cabo Delgado Province that borders Tanzania. These groups have used machetes and firearms to conduct lethal attacks, as well as burned vehicles and homes. While the attacks have been localized in the abovementioned districts, there remains a possibility that such violence could spill over into other districts bordering or near Macomia.
Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
Maputo – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Violent crime, such as muggings, is common.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with minor edits.
Originally Published: February 6, 2019
Israel Travel Advisory On February 5, 2019
The Occupied Palestinian Territories Travel Advisory On February 5, 2019
Falkland Islands Travel Advisory On February 5, 2019
Pakistan Travel Advisory On February 5, 2019