Exercise normal precautions in Moldova. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Transnistria due to the unresolved conflict between this breakaway region and the central government.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Moldova:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Moldova.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler ’s Checklist .
Transnistria – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Transnistria is a breakaway region that is not under the control of the central government in Chisinau. Visitors may encounter difficulties at checkpoints along roads leading into and out of Transnistria. Taking photographs of military facilities and security forces is prohibited and may result in trouble with authorities.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in Transnistria as U.S. government employees have restrictions on traveling to the area.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review without changes.
Originally Published: July 17, 2019