Exercise normal precautions in Malaysia. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- The eastern area of Sabah State due to crime and terrorism.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Malaysia:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Malaysia.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Eastern Area of Sabah State
There is a threat of kidnappings-for-ransom and violence from both terrorist and criminal groups. These groups may attack with little to no warning, targeting coastal resorts, island resorts, and boats ferrying tourists to resort islands.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in eastern Sabah as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to parts of eastern Sabah.
Read the Safety and Security Section on the country information page for further information regarding the Eastern area of Sabah State.
Originally Published: December 4, 2018