Exercise normal precautions in Malawi. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Rural areas due to sporadic civil unrest.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Malawi:
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Malawi.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
There is a potential for civil unrest that could become violent with little or no warning in rural areas of Malawi.
Originally Published: December 18, 2018