Madagascar – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Advisory Issued July 17, 2019
Exercise increased caution in Madagascar due to crime.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery and assault, may occur throughout Madagascar and particularly in:
- Antananarivo, Nosy Be, Toamasina (Tamatave), and Mahajunga
- Ankarana and Montagne d’Ambre National Parks adjacent to Diego
- General area surrounding Tolagnaro (Ft. Dauphin), south of National Route (RN) 7 and RN 27 (excluding the tourist area on the coastal roads between Ambovombe and Farafangana)
- Batterie Beach, north of Toliara (Tuléar)
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Madagascar:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Madagascar.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with updates to a Risk Indicator.
Originally Published: July 17, 2019
No posts found.
Rwanda Travel Advisory On July 16, 2019
Health section and summary – updated information on Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo, reflecting a confirmed case …
Papua New Guinea Travel Advisory On July 16, 2019
Natural disasters section (Volcanoes) – updated information on Mount Ulawun volcano in New West Britain province, which last erupted on …
USA Travel Advisory On July 15, 2019
Summary – updated information on a state of emergency declared in Louisiana and a local flooding risk across several states …
Qatar Travel Advisory On July 15, 2019
Entry requirements section (Visas) – updated information on visa requirements for non-tourist visits and extending a visa waiver Travel Advisory …