El Salvador – Level 3: Reconsider Travel Advisory Issued January 29, 2019
Reconsider travel to El Salvador due to crime.
Violent crime, such as murder, assault, rape, and armed robbery, is common. Gang activity, such as extortion, violent street crime, and narcotics and arms trafficking, is widespread. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to El Salvador:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Engage local guides certified by the national or local tourist authority when hiking in back country areas.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for El Salvador.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review without changes.
Originally Published: January 29, 2019
No posts found.
Pakistan Travel Advisory On January 29, 2019
Latest update: Summary – On 29 January, Pakistan’s Supreme Court upheld the acquittal of Asia Bibi in a blasphemy case; …
Sudan Travel Advisory On January 29, 2019
Latest update: Summary and Safety and security section (Local travel and Political situation) – revised information and advice on protests …
Fiji Travel Advisory On January 29, 2019
Latest update: Summary – removal of information on Tropical Cyclone Mona Travel Advisory Published: January 29, 2019 10:47 Cited Source: …
Panama Travel Advisory On January 29, 2019
Latest update: Summary – removal of information on World Youth Day 2019 Travel Advisory Published: January 29, 2019 10:12 Cited …