Exercise normal precautions in Angola. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Urban areas due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Angola:
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Angola.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery, assault, kidnapping, carjacking and homicide, is common. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents.
Originally Published: December 17, 2018